Welcome back, TEACHERS and STAFF!
ACCELERATE NORTHFIELD is looking forward to a successful 2019-20 school year, as many improvements to our operation have been implemented this summer. Those upgrades include:
- Much-needed maintenance and repair of our computer system
- A revamped website (acceleratenorthfield.org) designed to be more user-friendly.
- Newer IPads for tutor/volunteer attendance will be placed at Bridgewater and Sibley elementary schools (Greenvale Park received a new IPad last year).
- Better communication, meaning the return of periodic newsletters, more FACEBOOK posts (LIKE us on FACEBOOK, if you would, at https://www.facebook.com/AccelerateNorthfield) and more articles on local news websites.
For those of you new to the NORTHFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS (another welcome to you, by the way), ACCELERATE recruits and prepares volunteer reading and math tutors for service in our district’s elementary schools. We have been part of the schools since 2011, when our singular mission was to help close the achievement gap. While that still is emphasized, we have broadened our mission to help all students.
As we at ACCELERATE say, we seek volunteer tutors who want to help grow LEARNING SUPERHEROES!
More about ACCELERATE’s mission and identity is on our website.
Most of our volunteer force consists of CARLETON COLLEGE and ST. OLAF COLLEGE students in the Northfield Reads and Counts program. They will begin registering for tutor positions the second week of September. Another group is made up of seniors and retirees recruited through a joint effort of ACCELERATE and Catholic Charities of Southern Minnesota. The remaining tutors are parents and adult family members of students, as well as other college students and community members with a desire to help our students reach new levels of academic success. Or in other words, become LEARNING SUPERHEROES.
To request volunteers, go to what we call our MATCHING WEBSITE. (https://www.acceleratenorthfield.org/matching/login.php) and enter your login information. Although you might not know exactly which of your students will need help yet, you could have a general idea of when and what you will need a volunteer tutor. So, please enter that information now. You can always update or change your request as needed later.
NOTE: Attached to this email is a pdf explaining the volunteer request process in more detail. This information also will appear on our website.
Now that you are on the MATCHING WEBSITE follow these directions to matching a volunteer request:
- Click on the “OPPORTUNITIES” tab at the top of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “add” button. You also can edit or delete requests using the appropriate buttons at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the information when prompted.
Remember to make separate entries for each volunteer request you make. For instance, if you want a volunteer for Monday and Tuesday, enter a request for Monday and then another for Tuesday.
Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions or need help. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a wonderful school year!
ACCELERATE NORTHFIELD coordinator