Welcome to Accelerate Northfield’s March 2015 newsletter!
** A Note from Accelerate Northfield
Happy Spring! After a busy finish to last month with conferences and the end of the third quarter, we hope you took some time to relax this last week and had a wonderful spring break.
Starting early next week, or shortly thereafter depending on the school, standardized testing will begin. Students will be taking the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) test. This is a very busy and stressful time of year for teachers, so please keep these things in mind:
- Be proactive. Teachers probably won’t be supervising you as closely, so if you have questions or need something from your teacher, you will need to bring it up. Don’t wait for them to notice. Follow up in a day or two if the teacher doesn’t get back to you right away.
- Confirm your tutoring dates and times. Ask when your students will be taking standardized tests. If necessary, work with the teacher to either make alternate arrangements for that session or cancel the conflicting session.
- Your students may be stressed or act out more as testing approaches, especially if they are worried about it. Be aware and be prepared for these situations.
I hope you enjoy the wonderful spring weather!
Amy & Michael
Amy Decker & Michael Garlitz
** Tutoring Tips
* It’s officially spring, and students may be extra fidgety this time of year since it is finally nice outside. Plan a little extra time to talk or go through a ‘settling down’ routine at the beginning of your session.
* Remember to ask your students for feedback and input on your sessions. Do they feel like they are improving? Is there anything or any particular skill they want to work on?
* Get your students involved and engaged in your sessions by letting them set a few goals, especially goals for that day’s session. For example, reading 6 pages, or a whole chapter, or completing a worksheet during your session.
** What’s Happening Next?
March 31. – Quarter 3 starts.
April & early May – It’s standardized testing season! Remember to double check your tutoring schedule so you don’t show up when your students are testing.
Copyright © 2014 Accelerate Northfield, All rights reserved.