Becoming a tutor in Northfield elementary schools is as easy as 1, 2, 3 (and 4, in this case). If you have questions about this process or need assistance, contact Accelerate Northld at email@example.com.
The first step in becoming a tutor is to provide Accelerate Northfield with some contact information. We use the information you provide in the form below to set up your volunteer account. Your contact information will remain confidential and we will never send you spam or junk mail.
Step 1: Fill out the Volunteer Questionnaire.
Step 2: Complete the Volunteer Background Check.
Each year, the School District requires that volunteers complete a Volunteer Background Check and sign a confidentiality acknowledgement. You will receive the background check packet — which also includes volunteer guidelines, confidentiality acknowledgement and background screening standards — via email shortly after you submit the Volunteer Questionnaire above. If you do not receive the form, please let us know by sending us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will get you a form.
The form packlet also is available by clicking here.
Please print clearly and legibly on your background check form.
Mail the completed background check form to Arleene Gallardo, Northfield Public Schools, 1400 Division Street South, Northfield, MN 55057. You can also email a scanned copy of your completed form to email@example.com.
Accelerate Northfield will inform you when your background check is complete and you may begin volunteering.
Step 3: Complete the Volunteer Orientation.
Once you have submitted your background check, you should complete the Volunteer Orientation. To complete the orientation, all you have to do is go to the Volunteer Orientation page of our website and watch the videos there by clicking on the links. The orientation is a series of short videos that cover many topics, including how to enter the school building, volunteer expectations, and managing student behavior. Before volunteering, you must watch the orientation videos covering Volunteer Expectations and Mandated Reporting & Bullying.
Step 4: Sign up for a Tutoring Opportunity.
Once your background check has cleared, Accelerate will contact you with instructions on how to view and navigate our online volunteer sign up system. Once you have found a tutoring opportunity that is right for you, all you have to do is sign up and you’re on your way to helping us close the achievement gap!
If you would rather meet with our tutor coordinator, Michael, in person to arrange a tutoring session, please let them know and they will be happy to set up a meeting. Their contact information is on the “Contact Us” page.
- Accelerate Northfield relies on online volunteer sign up and school-building check in systems. If you have any difficulties with these systems, please let us know so we can arrange alternatives.
- Though our tutors each have a unique experience through Accelerate, all have reported that they have felt very rewarded by their work through us.
The 2017-18 school year begins in the Northfield Public Schools on Tuesday, Sept. 5. That means it’s time to sign up to become a volunteer tutor in Northfield elementary schools.
As you may recall, Accelerate Northfield serves as a conduit for matching community volunteers to teachers and other educational professionals in Northfield elementary schools. Our goal is to shrink Northfield’s achievement gap.
To work toward that goal, we recruit interested adults to spend at least one hour a week tutoring elementary school students. Most tutoring opportunities are in reading and math.
The first step in becoming a community tutor is to fill out a volunteer questionnaire, which you can access by clicking here.
We then will email you a copy of the district’s Volunteer Background Check packet, which includes background check and confidentiality forms, to sign and return to the district.
If you have volunteered in the past and already provided us with your contact information, you can skip that step and download the Volunteer Background Check packet by clicking here.
Once your background check is approved, you are provided access to scores of volunteer tutoring opportunities on Accelerate Northfield’s matching website.
Our website provides links to tutor training resources so you can feel ready to help out district students.
If you are unsure about any of these steps, don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
We hope to see you soon at an elementary school near you!
Hello Tutors, Teachers and Supporters,
I hope everyone is doing well. The first few weeks of school are fun and exciting, yet stressful and tiring. So, make sure to take care of yourself NOWbecause it’s a long way to December break.
Here are a few updates from the world of Accelerate Northfield:
* NUMBER OF TUTORS: As of this morning, we have about 70 tutors. That’s a good start, but we always can use more folks. If you know people who may be interested in tutoring, you can have them contact me at email@example.com or go to www.acceleratenorthfield.org for more information about what we do.
* NUMBER OF TUTORING OPPORTUNITIES: Again, as of this morning, we have more than 140 tutoring opportunities available. Teachers, please add more opportunities to our list because our tutors want to be busy!
* COMPUTER ISSUES: As you may recall, we had a security issue with our website at the beginning of the school year. That has been fixed, so using the site is much easier. Thanks for your patience!
* FACEBOOK: Do you know we have a Facebook page? It’s kinda new, so we need more folks to take a look. I post information about Accelerate, as well as weather and schedule information there. Please “like” our page!
* NEED TO MISS A TUTORING SESSION? Tutors, if you need to miss a day because of illness or another last-minute emergency, make sure to contact your teacher ASAP! The best way to do that is with a quick email.
* OCTOBER SCHEDULE: The Northfield district has a couple days off planned in October. They include:
— Thursday, Oct. 19, and Friday, Oct. 20
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for all that you do,